Saturday, March 29, 2014

Days 77 and 78 - Hong Kong

Friday, March 28

I woke up early to watch the sail in but it was foggy and couldn't really see anything so I went back to sleep (first night I slept the whole night in the bed).

Woke up again around ten, watched the morning show and got ready for the day.  We are docked right beside the Star Ferry.  When you exit the ship you have to walk through this huge shopping mall called Harbour City.  It is supposed to have over 3000 shops and is a maze of stores.  Every high end name brand seems to have a shop here.  Sometimes people have to queue to get into the shop.  I saw this as we went by the Prada store.

When I finally found my way out of the maze (after having at least ten people ask me if I wanted custom made clothes) I was approached by a woman selling tickets for the hop on hop off bus.  I bought a two day ticket.  I rode around Kowloon today and will do Hong Kong Island tomorrow.

After riding the complete circuit it was time for a comfort stop and lunch.  I walked back to Harbour City.  The comfort stop was easy but finding a place to eat was not.  There is no "food court" where you can get various food with plenty of seating.  Instead, the restaurants are spread all over the huge complex and many of them had only a few seats.  Finally I found a burger place (no, not McDonald's).  I had a big burger, fries and a Coke.  They were very tasty but quite salty.  But the very best part was they had free wifi!  I spent almost two hours there!

After getting totally lost in the shopping mall, I finally found my way back to the ship (I could see it every once in awhile but could not get to it).  Had an orange juice and then to my stateroom for a few minutes with my feet up.

I was going to do the night bus tour but it was not included in the price of my ticket and I was too stubborn to pay extra for it.  So back to the ship, had a Pepsi and then back to my stateroom to work on the blog.

At 8:30, there was a Chinese folkloric show.  They did a number of dances, had a dragon that lit up, and some magic acts.

I then went to the Farewell Trivia (today is the last day of this segment of the World Voyage).  There were 25 questions - 5 each in five randomly generated categories (Literature, Movies, Sports, Geography, and Pot Luck).  I only had ten correct.

Time for a late snack (I was still pretty full from my late lunch) and then an early bed time.

Saturday, March 29

Well, the early bed time did not work out.  I was coughing, could not get comfortable, and my hip ached from walking.  Bed to sofa and then back to bed (propped up with a new configuration of pillows).  I finally fell asleep sometime after 12:33 (the last time I looked at the clock).  Moved back to the sofa around 3:30 and back into bed around 6:30.

Got up around 9:00 and was on the Star Ferry going to Hong Kong Island by 10 (the ferry only takes seven minutes).  Took the two Big Bus tours around the island.  As soon as I got on the first bus the rain started.  Around 11:30 the sky got as dark as night and it was very eerie.  A short thunderstorm came by and and then the sky lightened up but the rain persisted.

Unfortunately, I don't have any nice pictures of Hong Kong because of the weather.  Hopefully, I can come back again sometime (and have better weather)!

By the Star Ferry terminal I finally found a souvenir shop so I could pick up some things and spend the rest of my Hong Kong dollars.

Came back to Kowloon on the Star Ferry and then back on board for a late lunch in the Lido.

There was a vacant washer so I popped my things in.  When that was done there was an empty dryer, so another fairly painless washing experience (it's just boring waiting around for your clothes).

Up to deck 9 around 7:30.  There had been a number of people being called to complete the immigration process (for those who boarded in Hong Kong).  It got to the point where names and stateroom numbers were being announced.  Evidently everyone finally showed up (I would have been so embarrassed) and we sailed out just after 8 pm.  The buildings were beautifully lit and it was a gorgeous sail-away.

Seven for dinner tonight including two new ladies - one Australian and one Danish.  The show tonight was the introduction show so I gave it a pass.

Advert for the new Spiderman movie

Nathan Road

Advertising signs that span many of the roads

line to get into Prada

Star ferries with Hong Kong Island in the background

Folklore show

Sail-away


Sail-away



Sail-away


on board the Star ferry

a sampan

a mini grocery store

folklore show

location of the turnover of Hong Kong from the British to the Chinese

Smooth sailing until next time!

1 comment:

  1. Kathi, you certainly brought back so many happy memories for me of Hong Kong in my flying days. I definitely think I am going to have to book the QE back from Sydney next year!!!

    Am so glad that you are feeling a bit better and at least getting out and about. Hopefully you will start sleeping better soon.

    Am so enjoying your blog.

    ReplyDelete