Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Day 75 - Xiamen, China

Wednesday, March 26

I had difficulty getting into a comfortable sleeping position so did not fall asleep until about 1am.  I was able to sleep in the bed for six hours before switching to the sofa.  Slept until just before 9am when I awoke and saw a skyscraper sailing past my balcony.  That was strange because we were supposed to dock at 8am.

We were just pulling up to the dock.  I watched for about an hour and then realized I was still sleepy so back to the sofa for another hour of sleep.

Watched the morning show.  Then it was time for an early lunch before my tour.  Saw Hilda and she is doing better.

I had chosen "Leisurely Xiamen" because it did not have much walking while I am still recovering (not overly fond of lots of walking when I am at my best).  We had received a note yesterday letting us know that the guides were not professionals so don't have great expectations.  Turns out our guide (English name Sarah) was a darling graduate student with very good English and a great tour guide.

We went to see Bailuzhou Park and saw the Egret Goddess statue (the egret was supposed to have founded Xiamen).  We saw a number of beaches.  There were a number of locals walking in the sand but I did not see anyone swimming (one of the areas had lots of trash in the water).  We also saw a  variety of places in old and new Xiamen and ended on a shopping street, Zhongshan Road.  I didn't buy anything (other than a Coke at McDonald's) but it was interesting looking into the old style, tiny stores and the larger, glitzy ones with western brands, such as Calvin Klein and Esprit.

It was a very warm day with a high predicted for 84C/29C.  I was amazed by the number of people walking around the city in sweaters and jackets!

We returned about 5 pm and I had a snack.  Then sat on the balcony for awhile watching people go and come.

Five for dinner tonight.  Went to the show (a comedian/impressionist, Paul Martell and his singer wife, Jane Scali.  They were pretty good.  After the show it was sail-away time (11:30) so I went up to deck 9 by the Lido Pool.  A very quiet sail-away.

Electronics for sale


Egret Goddess statue

on the beach

Department Store

Shopping street

Esprit

Interesting vehicles

Another department store

Fast food

view from my balcony

more fast food

Wash day

Street art

dumplings for sale

a small store

another store


Smooth sailing until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment