Sunday, March 23, 2014

Day 70 - Nagasaki, Japan

Friday, March 21

After a very restless night (I coughed so much that I even dreamed about coughing) spent on the sofa, I woke up about 7:30.  I very slowly got ready and then met in the Queens Room just before 9 for my tour.

My tour was "Memorial and Mount Inasa Cable Car".  We started with the Peace Park which had a number of memorials given by various countries.  Then we were taken to the Atomic Bomb Museum.  We were given an hour and a half to see the museum.

From there we went to the base of Mt. Inasa to take the "Nagasaki Ropeway" (it really is not a cable car despite the name of the tour).  Beautiful view from the top.  The cherry blossoms here are just starting to bloom.

The lady who was sitting next to me on the bus is traveling with her daughter and grandson to Dubai.  They live about 15 minutes away from me - small world!

We returned to the ship after two.  I officially spent no money in Japan.  I did not have any yen and the tiny gift shops we went to on the two tours I went on, did not take credit cards.

Japan is a beautiful country and I hope to be able to visit again (when I am feeling like a human).  Everyone we met was very welcoming.

Had my first real lunch in the pub then time for a nap.

Up to deck nine for the sail-away.  Once again people were along the dockside, along the bay and on the bridge waving at us.

Another rest and then got ready for dinner.  Only five of us for dinner.  Still too tired for a show so turned in early.

 Peace park fountain
Chains of paper cranes and bottles of water (many of the people who were not killed instantly hunted for water to drink after the bombing.  People bring water in memory).

close up of cranes

the man on the right is an 83 year old survivor of the bomb

Cherry blossoms just popping out

QE from the ropeway

Fuchi Shrine

Band playing as we sailed away

People waving good-bye

On the bridge waving


Smooth sailing until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment