Sunday, March 23, 2014

Day 71 - Busan, South Korea

Saturday, March 22

I was finally able to sleep in the bed (although propped up so I was almost sitting upright) and for close to three hours at a time.

By the time I awoke we were docked.  I had missed the deadline for excursions while I was feeling at my worst (and there were none that had really thrilled me to start with) so I took the shuttle into the city centre.

It was fairly cool (low 50s/10-11C) but sunny.  It took about 20 minutes for the bus to get from the pier to downtown.  I did not have any local currency.  That is a very vulnerable feeling.  I had credit cards with me but not having any cash eliminates even buying a Coke!  I walked around the shopping district.  It is a maze of tiny streets with vendors selling most everything. I did not see one ATM the entire time.  I thought South Korea would be a "no souvenir" country like Japan!  When I turned a corner and was back in front of the Phoenix Hotel (the shuttle drop-off/pick-up point, I decided to go back to the ship.

Busan is an important ship building port (two Princess ships were built here) and they are trying to attract more tourism so they have recently built a new ocean cruise terminal next to the Maritime Museum.  There were two tables of souvenirs set up on the quayside that took US dollars so I was able to get a few things after all.

Went to the Lido and had lunch and read for a bit.  Then I napped for a couple of hours off and on.

Back up to deck nine for sail-away at 5:30.  No turn out to wave us off like in Japan.  Looking at the hills kept giving me flashes of MASH (I know it wasn't really filmed here, but still).

Sat in the Garden Lounge and had a pineapple juice.  Decided I was really worn out so I will "stay in" tonight and get room service.  I need to decide if I am going on any ship excursions in the two Chinese ports (Shanghai and Xiamen).  I have been to Shanghai before and we get there Monday so I may wander on my own or take one of the "panoramic" tours (which is basically a bus tour with one or two photo stops).

Check back for picture updates on previous posts (when I can get a decent internet signal).









Smooth sailing until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment