Tuesday, May 13, 2014

London - May 12 and 13

Monday, May 12

Carolyn and Gary went for breakfast around 9:00 (I was just waking up) and then explored the neighborhood.  When they returned we weighed my suitcases.  One was at about 43 pounds, one at 48 and the third was 55 - uh, oh.  I am going to have to do some reshuffling and maybe trash some things.

We all finally set out around noon for Harrods.  After marveling at the food hall we went to the bookstore and I found an M.C. Beaton book I had not read.  Then we went to the Harrods Shop and looked at all the merchandise.  Carolyn and Gary bought a few things, I refrained (thanks to the weight of my bags).

Then we walked down to the Victoria and Albert Museum.  I sat in the garden and had a coke and a scone and read my book while Carolyn and Gary looked all over the museum.  We met back up around 4:30 and sat in the beautiful cafe room (which housed the world's first museum restaurant).  Then bussed back to Edgeware Road.  We ate at a pub called "The Tyburn".  Good fish and chips.  While we were in the pub it started raining and was drizzling as we walked the short block back to the flat.

When we arrived the lift had been fixed!  Made my day.

Tuesday, May 13

Another lazy morning (Gary went to the local convenience store and picked up a few things).  It rained off and on so we decided to go to a matinee.  Set off just before noon to Piccadilly Circus and then walked to the Piccadilly Theatre to buy tickets for "Jersey Boys".  We were able to get good seats in the stalls for £27.50 thanks to being over 60.  While we were buying the tickets there was a downpour and hailstorm.

We asked the young man who sold us the tickets a good place for lunch.  He suggested a number of local places and we settled on Bill's.  We had a good lunch and then Eton Mess for dessert.  I do not know how I have been to Britain so many times and had never heard of it before this trip.  It has three of my favorites - strawberries, cream and meringue.

The show was very good and when we came out the sun was shining brightly.  Back to the flat and we ate leftovers for dinner.

outside of Bill's

inside of Bill's

Jersey Boys



No comments:

Post a Comment