Friday, April 18, 2014

Day 97 - Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

Thursday, April 17

Slept until about 9:15, watched the morning show and went out on the balcony for a short while (very hot).  None of the excursions sounded too thrilling so I had decided to take the shuttle bus to the mall.

Once inside the mall, except for the Arabic lettering on the stores, I could have been in any city.  They even had a Hardee's!  I used the ATM and walked around for a bit and then took the shuttle back.

Abu Dhabi is a modern city with many skyscrapers.  The one thing that sets these apart from the skyscrapers in cities around the world is the Arabian decorations that you can see in my pictures.

There were a number of little shops set up in the cruise terminal and they also had free wifi.  There were too many people using the wifi and I was only able to get how much my ATM withdrawals were in dollars.  Every other thing I tried to do would not go through.

I looked around the shops and bought a few little souvenirs for the grandchildren.

Returned to the ship around three and had lunch in the Lido and two Pepsis.  Chatted with two of my Needlework/Knitting group friends about what they had done today.

11out of 20 at trivia (What was Walt Disney's middle name?)

Then went up to the Lido for ice cream.  Met two of my CC friends who had done the overland tour to the Taj Mahal.  I wanted to hear all about the fantastic time they had.  When we were finished it was time for sail-away, so out on deck 9 aft to wave goodbye to Abu Dhabi.

Had only 9 out of 26 on trivia (it started with asking the names of the seven women used in Mambo #5 - I only knew one).

Nine at dinner tonight with a guest, the Royal Navy officer who is onboard in case we get attacked by pirates.

Early night because I want to get up early to watch the sail in to Dubai.

above and below are signs in English and Arabic


an interesting fountain

skyline







Smooth sailing until next time!





No comments:

Post a Comment