Saturday, February 15, 2014

Days 35 and 36 - at sea

Thursday, February 13

We are back to a number of sea days (5 until Pago Pago).  I took advantage of this and slept late.  Awoke at 10 and poked my head out on the balcony and it was too hot and humid to sit out (sorry those of you in the snow and ice).  Since I was getting to the point of needing to do a load of clothes, I picked up a couple of things and decided to check the laundrette situation.  A washer had just finished and the woman was taking her things out, so I threw my things in and went back to get the rest.  When the load finished there was an empty dryer (close to a miracle in laundrette terms!) so in went my load.  I did not stay in the room because there were already three people in there (which is about two and a half more than comfortably fit😱).  My clothes were mostly dry in 50 minutes so I hung those in the shower and went to lunch.

At lunch they had the cupcake buffet.  It is beautifully displayed and looks delicious.  In fact, the cake part is very dry and not tasty.  (I could make better cupcakes and for those who know me I am a rotten cook!)  This is the second time they have had the buffet and I have tried a different flavor each time and one was as bad as the other.

I had not been able to get on Cruise Critic in days so I used 30 minutes reading some new threads.  Then it was time for the Needlework/Knitting group.  At three I had to turn in my passport.  I am not sure why we turned them in after 35 days (rather than at the beginning) unless it was because the non-Americans had to have their passports with them in the five US ports).  A number of people were complaining about turning them in but I have read many cruise lines do collect them.

Had my first scone in over a week for afternoon tea then sat out on my balcony for awhile.  After another great dinner I decided to sit on the balcony rather than go to a show or watch the dancing.  It is just about a full moon and the sky was very pretty.  There was a ring around the moon, almost like a rainbow - something I have never seen before.  My picture does not really capture it very well.  OK science people, what caused this?



Friday, February 14

Valentine's Day and it should be a profitable one for Cunard.  The morning started with an auction of 150 pieces of fine jewelry (some valued in the hundreds of thousands of dollars range).  There are flowers, a special champagne tea, boxes in the theatre for tonight's performance, couples massages, perfume, handbags, etc, etc, etc. on offer.

My plan for the day was to spend a few hours at the pool and then have lunch from the Lido grill.  The weather had other plans - it is cloudy, hot, and humid with only an occasional glimpse of the sun.  My plan was quickly revised and I spent an hour on the balcony watching the waves and one, lone bird skimming over the sea and then lunging for a fish.

Decided that today would be my first time having lunch in the main dining room.  I have eaten the three breakfasts I have consumed (remember I am not a breakfast person) and all my lunches in the Lido.  I enjoy choosing what I eat (more likely to try something unknown) as well as having time when I don't have to converse if I don't want to but I needed to give the MDR a chance (some of my friends never have lunch anywhere else).  I asked for a table by myself which was not a problem since I arrived about ten minutes after it opened.  I ordered the shrimp salad and roast chicken.  The shrimp salad was very good but the chicken was on the dry side (first time I have had that happen on board).  For dessert I had sticky toffee pudding which was really good.  All in all, the meal took about an hour.  It wasn't a bad experience yet it didn't make me want to eat there more often.  Maybe if I went with a group I would like it better.

Went to the Needlework/Knitting group and we talked about the jewelry auction this morning.  Not surprisingly, many pieces did not sell.  I then lost the $9 I won last time in the penny slots.  Then I went to the Lido to work on my knitting some and on this blog.   Then Pat came along and we caught up on what we had (or hadn't) been doing in the last few days.

I was in the lift with two of the kids' club staff.  They said there are fourteen children on this segment of the voyage.

Tonight was a Formal night and the Valentine's Ball.  After dinner I went to "Name That Tune" - only knew nine of the fifteen love songs.



Smooth sailing until next time!




1 comment:

  1. I often have lunch in the MDR as a way of meeting new people on board. I always agree to share or ask to be on a big table. Sometimes it is awkward but usually people are friendly and you always end up with different people. Only disadvantage is it takes longer than Lido so not for those afternoons with a lot of projects to fit in! Susan

    ReplyDelete