Sunday, February 9, 2014

Days 29 and 30 - At Sea

Friday -  It is hard to believe that I have been on board for four weeks now.  The time has flown by.

I woke up about 9:30 to fog and rain.  They were showing the one Bill Miller lecture I missed (on British passenger ships in the 50s and 60s) so I propped my pillows up and watched it in bed.  Then I watched the Cunard Morning Show.  It was then time to get ready for the next Cruise Critic Meet and Greet.

I went to the Commodore Club early and talked with Maggie until people started arriving.  We had a great turn out with about 30 showing up.  Leah, the assistant entertainment director we met in Southampton, welcomed everyone on board.

Had lunch in the Lido and sat with Chez from CC.  Afterwards I went to the Needlework/Knitting group.  There were about 15 present, 2/3 of whom just embarked yesterday.

Tonight is a formal night and the Cunard Ball.  Chez and I had a drink before dinner.  We had all eleven at our table.  I did not get the names of any of them, where they were from, or how long they would be on because I was too far away from them.  With such a large table it is hard to hear people more than a seat or two away.

After dinner I watched the dancing for a short while and then attended the show which featured the "String Idols" -- two young ladies who play the violin.  They played a variety of different songs - classical, show tunes, popular, etc.  They were very good.

Saturday - Another lazy day with nothing major planned.  Once again I stayed in bed for awhile and watched the sea go by.  For those who don't love the sea or have never been on a cruise, these days must seem really dull.  I feel quite the opposite.  Having the whole day with nothing I have to do, opportunities available if I choose or just sitting and reading, watching the sea, talking with friends or making new ones, is pretty much perfect for me.

Today was warmer with more sun.  High temperature was predicted to be about 66F/19C.  After lunch in the Lido I realized I had lost a button on my blouse.  Walked around where I had been looking for it but finally came back to my stateroom to change.  Luckily, an extra button was sewn in the seam so I was able to fix my blouse.  Then I sat on my balcony for about an hour (very breezy but warm enough for me) before heading out to the Needlework/Knitting group.

As the day progressed I was getting more and more congested.  I'm still hoping it will not turn into a full-fledged sinus infection.

I hadn't been to the Commodore Club recently (it has a beautiful view over the bow of the ship), so I took my book (reading Bill Bryson's At Home) and sat up there for about an hour and a half and treated myself to a Coke.

Dinner seemed to go on forever as my head started to hurt worse and worse.  Excused myself at 10:00 and was in bed about 10:30.

Internet has been awful recently, sorry!

Smooth sailing until next time!


  1. Still love following along! I agree that not having anything you have to do at any specific time sounds relaxing! I would love to just sit on the balcony and watch the water. Is there a library or book exchange place on board? I would imagine you need more books than you could fit in a suitcase!

  2. Current position of M/S Queen Elizabeth: Under way from Puntarenas to Honolulu (Oahu, Hawaii)

    Departure was 11 d 16 hrs 16 min ago. (at 17:00 h local time)
    Arrival will be in 1 d 3 hrs 44 min. (at 09:00 h local time)
    Traveled distance since Puntarenas: 3,870.85 nm (7,168.82 km)
    Traveled distance since Southampton: 13,445.11 nm (24,900.35 km)
    Course: 289°

    Never saw a comments about going to Mexico??? Is this wrong??

  3. I found your blog on CC and love it. Thanks for letting me virtually tag along on your cruise!