Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Day 46 - Auckland, New Zealand

Tuesday, February 25

We docked early but our tour did not begin until 10 so I watched some of the sail-in from bed.  Jim Archer met us as we disembarked and we were off to see Auckland.  We started by going to One Tree Hill (which is actually now "No Tree Hill" - a man hacked the tree and it could not be saved).  Beautiful panoramic views of the city even though it was cloudy and a little cool (I actually wore my sweater for the first time).  We saw the volcanic cone - the volcanoes are considered dormant since none have erupted in hundreds of years but could a some point in the future.

The Wintergarden, in the Auckland Domain, had beautiful flowers as well as a fern garden.  It was then out to Devonport where we had lunch.  Chez and I ate at a little outdoor cafe.  She had mussels and I had fish and chips (chips were a tad greasy but the fish was good and it was a huge portion).

We then went along the coast to a beautiful viewing area and then up to Mt. Eden to get another panoramic view of the city.  Back to the ship about 3 and I walked around buying souvenirs until four.  Prices in New Zealand are quite high and all include a 15% tax.

Up to the sail-away party and a beautiful view as we sailed out of Auckland.

My something different for tonight was spinach tian.  Not a big spinach fan but since it came with my dinner, I tried it.  It was kind of bland and did not really taste that much like spinach.

After dinner I went to the cultural show.  The group  "Te Oranga Ake" performed traditional Maori songs and dances.  Leah, the assistant entertainment director said we had taken on 400 passengers in Auckland.
Where the tree on One Tree Hill once was

Devonport

Skyline view

houses

houses

one of the volcanic cones

the view from my balcony








flowers at the Wintergarden

Bird on a huge lily pad at the Wintergarden

Smooth sailing until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment